Go to main navigation
773 Main Street, Manchester, CT 06040
Free Consultation 860.643.1136 860.643.1136

What should I do if I am in an auto accident?

It is an unfortunate reality that at some time in our lives we are likely to be involved in an automobile accident.When you are in an accident there are certain things you should remember to protect yourself and your rights.Protect yourself by turning on your flashers or use flares to warn approaching traffic that the roadway is obstructed.If anyone is injured or if there is any noticeable damage to property, call the police and stay at the scene until the police tell you can leave. Leaving the scene of an accident can result in criminal charges.

You should get the other driver’s name, address, insurance information and license plate number. You should also get the name of the police officer and the incident number the police will use to file documents on your accident. If anyone witnessed the accident be sure to ask for their name(s) and contact information.

It is not a good idea to make statements to anyone at the scene, except to the police. Tell the police the facts about what happened and let the officers draw their own conclusions from the facts.

Even if you think that you are more at fault than the other driver, you should not admit liability. There may be facts that you do not know which played a role in the accident and it may turn out that the other driver was more at fault than you were.

And finally, if you think you may have been injured, you should seek medical attention immediately. If the police officer suggests that you go to the emergency room, take that advice. The adrenaline rush you may feel at the scene may mask some of your symptoms. You should follow-up with your family doctor if any symptoms continue for more than a few days. Be sure to tell your doctor about all your symptoms – it is always best to be safe by reporting all of your symptoms so your doctor can rule out the possibility a concussion or other serious injuries.

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. See competent counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *